top of page

Courses we offer

Explorers Guide offers USCG Approved Captain's License courses.

Whether you’re looking to boat on your own, or are interested in a professional career, feel free to explore all the classes that we offer. 
We provide the one-on-one social interaction with the instructor and other students.  Classes are scheduled to minimize time off from work; normally a combination of evening and weekends.
Our instructors work with our students to provide a positive learning environment. We use props to help explain key points. Classrooms provide a distraction-free environment for students to focus on the topics. If needed, added mentoring can be provided.
Our goal is to leave no student behind. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out! 
Financing available!

OUPV Captains License -
Inland, Great Lakes or Near Coastal Routes

The USCG-Approved OUPV 6 Pack Captains License lets you take 6 passengers for-hire, plus crew, on your vessel. The course was designed for Captains working and boating on federal waters with passengers for hire on a power-driven boat. This includes duck hunters, tours, fishing and similar activities.

Steer Wheel on a Boat

OUPV Upgrade to 100 Ton Masters Captains License Near Coastal, Inland, or Great Lakes

Time to upgrade your OUPV license to 100 Ton Masters License? Explorers Guide can help you do it.  Your sea service determines both the route and tonnage for your license. The routes include Inland, Great Lakes, and Near Coastal.

The tonnage of the vessel you can operate also depends on size of the vessel you served on. Tonnage ratings include 25, 50, or 100-ton Master captains license. 



OUPV to Mate 200 Ton Endorsement
Upgrade your OUPV license to a Mate 200 Ton

If you have time on a vessel over 67 gross tons, it is time to upgrade to Mate 200 Ton.  It is an easy way to get your 200 Ton Master license.This course will get you a Mates Endorsement up to 200 Tons, based on your sea service and our 70 question exam.

 NOTE: Based on sea service and minimum of 360 days operating with a officers credentials you can upgrade to a Masters license for the same route, based solely on sea service time.

Ocean Boat

Able Seaman with Lifeboatman Limited

Our Able Seaman class is approved to include the lifeboatman exam. It states" Able Seaman (EXPLGU-001) course satisfies examination requirements 46 CFR 12.405(a) for the "Deck General and Navigation General,"' "Deck Safety and Rules of the Road;" AND the "Practical Marlinspike Seamanship Demonstration" requirement 46 CFR 12.405(c); AND the written "Survival Craft" examination requirements of 46 CFR 12.409 for any endorsement as Able Seaman restricted to vessels without lifeboats.

However, you will have to show proof of 46 cfr 12.409.  General requirements for lifeboatman-limited endorsements. The practical demonstration must consist of a demonstration of the applicant's ability to—(i) Take charge of a rescue boat, liferaft, or other lifesaving apparatus during and after launch; (ii) Operate a rescue boat engine; (iii) Manage a survival craft and survivors after abandoning ship; (iv) Safely recover rescue boats; and (v) Use locating and communication devices, and request review based on criteria after march 24, 2014.

The checkoff  Sheet is for the National endorsement for lifeboatman limited. Please note this is not for PSC.

This course will cover AB rating for vessels without lifeboats. If you work on a STCW covered vessel you will need BT and Proficiency in Survival Craft. 


Course Details: This course also includes the USCG Approved practical demonstration of competency in Knot Tying and Splicing.

Image by DD Contact

Assistance Towing
Captains License Endorsement 

This assistance towing endorsement is a added to your captains license. The Assistance Towing Endorsement is for boat Captains who would like to be tow vessel for a fee. Captains are required by the USCG to hold an Assistance Towing Endorsement on their credential to be able to assist vessels that have run aground, are disabled, or have run out of fuel.


First Aid/CPR/AED

CPR/First Aid is required to obtain a Mariner Credential.  We offer online CPR/First Aid/AED certifications with a USCG Course Code on the certificate.  (Testing is required on site).  Once registered, you will be emailed an access code and instructions for the online course.  Skills checks are done at any of our scheduled courses.  You do not need to be enrolled in a Captain's Course for CPR.  For Checkouts outside any of our scheduled classes, please contact us for arrangements prior to purchase.

Courses: Lessons

On-Line MROP (Marine Radio Operators Permit) $120

You need a commercial radio operator license to operate the following:

  • Ship radio stations if:

    • the vessel carries more than six passengers for hire; or

    • the radio operates on medium frequencies (MF) or high frequencies (HF); or

    • the ship sails to foreign ports; or

    • the ship station transmits radiotelegraphy; or

    • the ship is larger than 300 gross tons and is required by law to carry a radio station for safety purposes.

marine radio.jpg
bottom of page